[MissoulaGov] trees

Lynn Ascher lascher012010 at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 29 14:07:46 MDT 2011

If I'm remembering correctly, the river bank vegetation was last cut
back about seven or eight years ago to conform to the Corps of Army
Engineers requirements. The cuts removed only the sapling thickets
that were growing on the vertical / diagonal bank itself. No trees
were removed from horizontal ground above the banks; judging from
some comments, maybe people are worried that this cutback will
include those. It definitely didn't last time. At one time
cottonwoods and willows must have been growing along the banks, and
when they were cut down just above ground level, their still healthy
root systems continued to produce a multitude of shoots that spread
out from the trunk. So every few years the banks are covered again
with saplings. If those are allowed to grow to tree size, the bank
couldn't support their weight and would certainly crumble.

lynn