[MissoulaGov] trees

Matthew Koehler koehler at wildrockies.org
Tue Mar 29 13:48:21 MDT 2011

I would like to ask -- What exactly is a native tree? Missoula
seems to have lots of people who were not born here but thrive none
the less and they say they are natives (when in actuality they are
residents) of Missoula.

If a tree is planted and it thrives then why not adopt it as a
"native?"
Carole Ulrigg

-----------

My view is that "native" trees, shrubs and plants grew and evolved
naturally in a particular area before humans introduced (exotic) plants
from other parts of the world. Below is a listing of some native trees
that are common in many parts of western Montana. Obviously the range of
these trees differs greatly based on elevation, moisture, aspect, etc.
For example, a black cottonwood is considered a native tree along the
Clark Fork, but not if it was planted up on the top of Snowbowl. A
whitebark pine is native on the top of snowbowl, but would be non-native
vegetation if planted along the Clark Fork River. As such, I'm not sure
the comparison between "native" Montanans and native (or non-native)
trees is a good comparison.

*BLACK COTTONWOOD
CHOKECHERRY
DOUGLAS FIR