[MissoulaGov] trees

Peter Nielsen pnielsen at co.missoula.mt.us
Tue Mar 29 13:39:16 MDT 2011

The practice of removing all trees over four inches in diameter has been going on for many years - I recall it being an issue back in the 1980's when the vegetation was removed. I agree with folks who are concerned about removal of riparian vegetation along streams. But in this case, there really is not much choice. The decision was made a long time ago to channelize the Clark Fork and maintain a man-made levee along Caras Park. While the trees and shrubs that grow on the levee have a natural appearance, the river is nothing close to its natural state in this reach. The river has lost its connection to its floodplain. If we want to avoid this sort of thing in the future, we should resist proposals to extend dikes and levees and channelize the river. In some places, we can even seek to restore a river's natural function and connection to its floodplain, benefitting aquatic life, wildlife, water quality and helping to absorb floods. But in downtown Missoula, this is no longer a viable option.

Peter Nielsen
Water Quality District
301 W. Alder
Missoula MT 59802
258-4968

>>> Bob Jaffe <BJaffe at ci.missoula.mt.us> 3/29/2011 1:19 PM >>>

The mandate is to remove everything over 4". The work will take place while the river is still low (soon).

Bob Jaffe
Missoula City Council Ward 3
1225 South 2nd West
Missoula, MT 59801