[MissoulaGov] Catlin project & centers

Ethel MacDonald ethelmacd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:14:43 MST 2011

I really like your ideas, Greg, especially "Maybe it is possible for us to
sketch out a mini-plan for Third & Russell like the Downtown Plan that
doesn't require out of town consultants and a lengthy process. Connect the
dots of the GFS, the Milwaukee Trail expansion, how to handle the
intersection and the changes in those two main streets, and how to design a
pleasing mix of well designed housing that includes the Catlin project."
I hate the hundreds of thousand$$ spent on consultants unfamiliar with
our history, etc. Of course, this whole discussion, esp. parking
requirements, brings up Russell-3rd reconstruction and transportation
projections. Many of us think we need to get a new vision of those
transportation projections that includes rising fuel prices, peak oil &
global warming, increased awareness of the benefits of bike/walk/transit
choices, and the fact that traffic projections based on past growth can be
wrong! I agree, more varied, affordable, denser housing here would be good
-- IF & also because -- it would make it more practical, possible, and even
attractive for people to actually live without a vehicle -- or at least,
just one per household!
Ethel MacDonald

--
"C'est ce que je fais qui m'apprend ce que je cherche." (It's what I do
that teaches me what I seek.) Pierre Soulages, French painter