[MissoulaGov] Committee update 11-30-11

Ross Keogh ross.keogh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:06:35 MST 2011

I wonder, in terms of the Fox Theater, if a more suitable arrangement might
be a long-term lease of the property. A 50-99 year lease should provide
the developer the certainty they need to get project financing and cost
recovery in their investment. I would expect they could also mortgage the
lease, similar to how they may mortgage the property, to cover construction
expenses. In the early years of the lease the City could charge a nominal
amount as a subsidy to encourage investment, and than recoup a return to
tax payers in the later years by escalating the rent to a market value.

This structure would allow for the City to own the property in the
long-term, well still providing a significant subsidy to the developers
that would help get the ball rolling on the project. If the developer was
really insistent on owning the property maybe an option to purchase with
the price determined by the appraised value could be included.

Thanks for the updates,

-RPK

--
-RPK