[MissoulaGov] Dave's proposal is to make it a criminal offenseto refuse the test punishable with a $300 fine

Colleen M. Dowdall cdowdall at wthlaw.net
Fri Feb 19 18:42:22 MST 2010

In Boise, if you are arrested for DUI, your picture appears on a website
the next day.  It stays there for a number of weeks.  People read it
every day.  It is humiliating.  It is an effective deterrent.  And then
you start receiving mail from DUI attorneys who have your name and
address off the website.

A first offense results in a sentence of 5 days in jail.  You can do up
to three of those days in community service - 8 hours for every day not
spent in jail.  The three days of community service is not automatic.
The fines are high.  You lose your license for several months after you
plead guilty.  You also lose your license for a period of time before
you plead guilty.  I am not clear on all of that but it results in up to
a year without a driver's license.  Boise's bus system is non-existent.
If you are caught driving without a license, all deals are off and you
go to jail.

You must participate in a victim panel sponsored by MADD - everyone of
these steps cost money.  If you also hire an attorney, the whole
experience can cost up to $5000.

The enforcement is impressive.  But it took change in social thinking
that I am not sure is present in Montana.  Check out the city of Boise
website for other ideas.