[MissoulaGov] Fwd: Committee update 10-24-07

Steven Allison-Bunnell steve at allison-bunnell.net
Thu Oct 25 10:41:26 MDT 2007

The claim that infill causes sprawl is false purely on logical
grounds without statistics:

1. Total number of houses built as infill and sprawl = demand for
housing in the area.

2. Occupancy rates are overall high, right? Realtors aren't
complaining that they can't sell houses in the denser neighborhoods
are they? On the contrary, in town houses of all sizes are selling
for record prices.

3. Even if some people decide to build farther out to escape, someone
is buying both the house they leave behind AND the new infill house.
Neighborhoods experiencing infill are not turning into empty bombed
out ghost towns (as someone who recently decried the "slumification"
of Missoula due to infill suggested). If anything, the areas where
infill is taking place are being gentrified.

4. We do know that of course the more expensive houses are in town,
the more moderate income people move out to the edges. Ironically,
infill does not seem to have depressed in-town prices (see #2).
(There are of course a number of fallacies there, namely the added
significant expense of gas due to driving vs. a higher mortgage or
rent. So the saving can become a false economy very quickly).

So we should continue to be concerned about the fact that houses in
town are more expensive than houses farther out. But that is largely
due to overall high demand, not "tight flight" (that is, the
departure of people who are afraid of living close to their
neighbors). And that's where county wide impact fees would level the
playing field -- the price of a house should reflect the true cost of
its construction. If anything, we should offer subsidies to people IN
TOWN who cost less to provide public services to!

Having lived happily in town on a 30-foot wide lot in a house built
90 years ago, I find the claims that infill is not in character with
core neighborhood building patterns just plain baffling.

Steve Allison-Bunnell

Begin forwarded message: