[MissoulaGov] a note about council emails

hdgray at modwest.com hdgray at modwest.com
Thu Oct 18 21:44:02 MDT 2007

Bob and listening Council Members,

I do not mind the use of email by the Council as a public form of
communication. I personally find it useful when I want to see what past
conversations occurred and what lead to specific decisions. If all of the
council members would actually like to make sure that the Open Meeting
laws are not flouted, I think the Clerk needs to collect any notes passed
at meetings between council members and record any whispered conversation.
That would truly level the playing field for everyone. As long as
everyone acts professionally and cordially I do not see any problem with
you continuing the practice.

As far as finding blank email on the server it is not a mystery. I
actually receive several a week by individually that click the mouse to
vigorously when opening email. They inadvertently send a blank email to
me. It is usually followed by the email that was intended, without any
recognition that a blank email was sent beforehand. Sometimes the practice
of making electronic communication easier also leads to human error.

Please do not be intimidated by those that dislike newer forms of
communication and keep these emails a part of the public record for
everyone.

Sincerely,
David V. Gray
Ward 6