[MissoulaGov] a note about council emails

Bob Jaffe bjaffe at ci.missoula.mt.us
Thu Oct 18 09:48:18 MDT 2007

I know this is probably the most important issue on the minds of the
community right now so I wanted to clarify one small point. The letter to
the editor yesterday suggested that council members had deleted some of the
content from the emails requested by the Missoulian.

The request went through the city clerk's office. The emails were pulled
from the city backup server. We had no involvement in the process or
editorial capacity over the emails that were posted. We have no idea why
some of them were blank. The clerk does not know why some of them came up
blank either.

As is often the case with letters to the editor, this one appeared to be
driven more by ignorance and malice rather than a desire to arrive at the
truth.

I am amazed at how often we see impassioned letters to the editor or public
comment speeches that are based on completely false premises that could have
been cleared up if folks simply asked for the facts or an explanation
before getting all worked up.

Bob Jaffe

Missoula City Council, Ward 3

<mailto:bjaffe at ci.missoula.mt.us> bjaffe at ci.missoula.mt.us