[MissoulaGov] Committee update 6-20-07

Ed Childers echilders at ci.missoula.mt.us
Thu Jun 21 18:44:14 MDT 2007

Hello.

There have been a number of exchanges here in the listserv regarding a
referendum supporting authorization and funding for withdrawal from Iraq.
There were also quite a number of e-mails sent to the City Council. A lot of
the notes that came to the Council in support of placing the resolution on
the ballot included a reference to a 600-pound elephant in the living room.
Seems pretty small for an elephant. J

Anyhow, I responded to one writer (not a 600-pound elephant letter) who
wrote to the City Council, and I included bits and pieces from this
listserv, so I thought I'd drop it in the bucket.

<start of insertion> (the e-mail being responded to is at the other end)

Thank you, Ms. Elmore.
Regarding why the Iraq war is a local issue, here are some examples of
local impacts that people have identified:

These are from Alderman Jaffe's listserv:

"Our police and fire departments have staff over there; the federal moneys
we depend on are greatly reduced to help fund the war; our citizens will be
paying off the war debt for a generation; we have many families and
businesses that are missing loved ones and employees; and many of our
citizens feel they have a moral obligation to make a statement about the
war."

These were identified by Ariel Bleth

"the war in Iraq has had a major impact on Missoula and the surrounding area
- troops who have died or been injured, local first responders called up to
serve, and declines in federal grant programs cut to pay for the war."

Ethel MacDonald provided a link to an article
<http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/06/all_war_is_loca.html#more> by Alan
Weber regarding shortages in national guard and local public safety
organizations because young people are serving in Iraq.

I don't know how you propose to become thoroughly educated about the
Iraq situation, but here are some of the sources I use:
I use the news media, the politicians, numerous resources available at
no charge via the internet, and discussion with other people.
I consider past reliability of sources (for instance, has the source
lied or misrepresented before?)

Also, I try to discover the answer to questions such as,

why were American soldiers sent to invade Iraq?
What is America's mission in Iraq?
Who is the enemy in Iraq?

Those are basic questions that should have straightforward, unchanging
answers; unfortunately, the answers provided by the President are neither
straightforward nor unchanging.

Our armed forces are vital to our nation's security. Our military
personnel serve honorably and well. It's the responsibility of the President
to use them wisely. I absolutely support our troops, and I've never met
anyone who didn't. By the same token, I can't support the President as he
continues to squander our precious resource, the men and women of our armed
forces, on a war the President can't explain, against an enemy that the
President can't identify.

Thanks for your concern.
---ed

Ed Childers
echilders at ci.missoula.mt.us

406-728-3751
406-546-7681 (cell)

Joan Elmore wrote:

I think that until all of us are thoroughly educated as to the situation
(good and bad) in Iraq, instead of what the news media and the politicians
choose to tell us, we should use our freedom of speech to support our
troops. A ballot referendum is a waste of time and money which would be
better spent on local issues!

Joan Elmore

<end of insertion>

Ed Childers