[MissoulaGov] Bikes Yield at Stop Signs?

Jodi Allison-Bunnell jodi at allison-bunnell.net
Sat Jun 9 11:37:58 MDT 2007

HI all:
After a lively breakfast discussion on this topic with my DH, I'll chime in.

I do not favor specific rules for cyclists that are different from cars.
It's just too confusing to actually encode separate rules for everyone. And
making rules that cyclists don't have to stop at stop signs or red lights is
not really a great idea.

That said, I don't necessarily think that a cyclist who comes to something
less than a dead stop, looks, and proceeds should be cited. One who blows
through an intersection at full speed, expecting everyone to get out of
his/her way, should. As should one who runs red lights; you never know when
a car is going to whip out of some location you can't see and nail you.

Common-sense enforcement would go a long way here.

Great discussion, thanks everyone!

Best, Jodi