[MissoulaGov] better cycling behavior?

Bob Giordano mist at strans.org
Fri Jun 8 10:53:34 MDT 2007

I think we can all agree that better cycling behavior is needed in
missoula. Yet, please peruse a chronicle of many bike/car crashes in
Missoula on our web site. go to www.strans.org and click on 'hot spots'.
About 60 people have logged their crashes onto the site in the last few
months. Another kid was hit yesterday at brooks/stephens.

My estimate: one third bike car crashes are due to irresponsible bike
behavior and 2/3rds due to motorist fault, with infrastructure failings
playing a role in many, if not most, crashes.

Anyone getting a free bike at free cycles takes our BikeWell class- it
covers rules of the road and safe riding skills (and basic repair). We
have had about 250 take the class over the last 6 months. It's a start,
and we hope to build on that over time... -Bob G. Free Cycles, MIST

ps. It's almost at the point where I think we need a 'TRAFFIC TIME-OUT!'
and really address this degredation of community that's happening right
now due to all these crashes. Let's reverse these trends.