[MissoulaGov] Bikes Yield at Stop Signs?

David Strohmaier dstrohmaier at msn.com
Tue Jun 5 23:39:15 MDT 2007

Interesting, although I'm not at all enthusiastic about this proposal and
have encouraged the Missoula Police Department to oppose it. Indeed, I think
this effort tends to undermine many of the arguments proferred in past days
that have rightly endeavored to raise the status of bikes to that of motor
vehicles. I firmly believe that bikes, as vehicles in their own right,
should obey all the laws applicable to motor vehicles. I recently spent some
time in the Missoula Municipal Court after receiving a well-earned ticket
for making a rolling stop. Did I look both ways as I approached the
intersection? Yes. Did my actions seem safe to me at the time? Yes.
Nevertheless, those are no excuses, and there have been times when I thought
I had adequately scanned the streetscape only to nearly miss a pedestrian,
bicycle, dog, etc. I don't think bicyclists are well served by placing too
much energy into an issue like this, which merely reinforces stereotypes of
cyclists as considering themselves above the law.

And stay tuned, I remain convinced that we need a bike helmet ordinance in
Missoula and will be attempting to revive this effort before the City
Council at some point in the future. But that's another story . . .

Dave

Dave Strohmaier
508 E. Pine
Missoula, MT 59802