[MissoulaGov] Fw: committee update 5-30-07

Bob Giordano mist at strans.org
Fri Jun 1 12:13:44 MDT 2007

Good discussion. Some comments:

The best bike/ped/car system for missoula may seem to have these
qualities:

3-lane arterials for motor vehicles (one lane in each direction with a
center turn lane or turn pockets) and a 6' or 7' wide bike lane on the
side (if parking exists then the bike lane should be about 2' out from the
parked cars). This would be all arterials except reserve, and maybe
brooks, as Paul suggests.

Complete and connected trails- Missoula is close, with about 6 or 7 key
gaps that need filling.

Calm neighborhood streets for shared use. We may also greatly benefit from
having one bike boulevard in each n'hood. A bike blvd gives priority to
non-motorized traffic while still allowing some local car access. Several
cities are doing this with good success.

25mph city-wide speed limit, 30 in the county, 10 in n'hoods. Acceptable?

Modern, single lane roundabouts (and _not_ double lanes as proposed on
Russell). I'm putting a ton of research into single and double lane
roundabouts right now. (Later today I'll be filming a double lane
roundabout in Brattleboro Vermont.)

Where traffic signals are appropriate (and this is a big question being
debated internationally right now), bike ped movements need full menu of
safety designs (which we lack in Missoula and hence result in routine bike
and ped injuries at signals)

Double bus frequency, move to cleaner fuels (electric from wind?), and
maybe make 'free' like a public library. State-wide trains too.

Working on these issues for 10 years, this is what I've heard the majority
public say and what would likely fulfill safety and flow requirements of
all our plans (growth policy, Long range trans plan, city mission, etc.).

10' travel lanes for motor vehicles work well, instead of the 12' MDT
usually insists on for urban arterials. 12' is the width of interstate
travel lanes which require much more 'wiggle room' (shy distance) because
of higher speeds. So an urban facility needs less width. 8'6" is the
legal width limit of the biggest trucks and busses. Rattlesnake Dr. has
10' lanes which I think keeps traffic calm and moving.

6' bike lanes have been considered ideal, yet biking with my family in
Burlington Vermont this week, my mom said she felt fairly safe on some 7'
bike lanes that were 2' out from the 'door zone,'. She had never felt
safe biking on arterials before. The European cycle track (between parked
cars and sidewalk) is very appealing yet tends to be less safe at
intersections and driveways if done in the U.S. MIST proposes we finish
our bike lane system but always be ready to switch to a cycle track system
if the driver population as a whole continues less than responsible
driving behavior that cannot be corrected by awareness and enforcement.

Let's keep discussion going, especially as the 20-yr trans plan will be
rewritten over the next year.

Finally- There is a way Reserve could be a 3-lane (a 'super-2'): that
would be to connect all the little frontage roads along the box stores.
In essence we would have 3 smaller roads running up that corridor instead
of one mega road down the middle.

To better make all this work, a more village style land use pattern would
be preferred with mixed uses, some clustering and well-defined open
spaces.

-Bob G.

ps. we have much of this on our web site, under the 'Missoula Model.'

--
Bob Giordano
Missoula Institute for Sustainable Transportation