[MissoulaGov] Partisan Elections

Janet Donahue janetdonahue at msn.com
Sun Oct 29 14:50:10 MST 2006

Sue, thank you for this additional information. I wholeheartedly support going back to partisan elections. While anyone can run as a Democrat, Republican or some other partisan affiliation, the parties themselves are very good at supporting those "Democrats" and "Republicans" who best represent that party's ideals and platforms. Remember the Flathead County Commissioner race two years ago that found Republicans very upset with the "takeover" attempt of their party by the very, very far right. For the most part, Republicans ended up supporting the Democrat as a referendum for cleaning the Republican house even though it meant losing a Republican-held seat on the Commission. It energized the Republicans and this year things are different in the Flathead Commissioner race. The Republican candidate is more reflective of the predominately Republican Flathead County and is favored to win.

We could point to cities of populations over 50,000 and say that the majority of those cities have City Managers but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right choice for Missoula. Nor can we look at whether the majority of those cities have non-partisan or partisan races and expect that because there are more non-partisan city elections that it is right for Missoula's races to be non-partisan. We have a history of very open, lively and competitive partisan politics in Missoula. I think it is healthy, gives candidates a good support base, and helps those of us who care about politics to make wise, informed choices. Are there decisions made at the City level that have partisan overtones? Absolutely!

Having run as a non-partisan (Justice of the Peace) and a Democrat (County Commissioner and Lt. Governor) I found it very rewarding to be identified as a Democrat and less divisive. I had nothing to hide. If someone doesn't want to run as a Democrat or Republican, they can set up a different party, as Geoff suggests, or run as and Independent. There was no real reason to change from partisan elections 10 years ago. It has only led to confusion and the ability of some to call a candidate "new party" or whatever without any basis other than to try to paint a candidate with a (good or) bad brush. Let's eliminate the games being played and go back to partisan elections.

Janet Donahue